Over the last several months, I have asked you to pray for our Leadership Team as they prepared retainable goals in order for us, as the Church, to achieve the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ. Each year, we have made this our practice so that we do not lose sight of the mission Jesus commanded us.
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
I am happy to say that your prayers have been answered as goals have been established. The goals are designed to be reached over the next 9-12 months, and most importantly, with everyone’s help. Please allow me to explain how we plan to retain these goals.
In January, we began a Ministry Team consisting of five people: Nate and Melissa Baker, Wilma Wilt, Kay Helm, and Don Yorks. The purpose of this team is to establish ways for the entire congregation to be involved in fulfilling the goals set by the Leadership Team. This way the entire congregation will be involved in fulfilling Jesus’ command.
Parts of the goals will be met by the Leadership Team. Other parts will be met by the Ministry Team and the congregation. Some of the goals we may meet on time, others may take longer than expected. The idea is to have something we are aiming for. If we don’t aim for anything, we will never get anywhere.
The goals were built from our Vision.
Serving, Mentoring and Encouraging the people we encounter to be followers of Jesus Christ.
Show the love of Jesus through serving like Jesus.
Show the way to live a life with Jesus.
Encourage one another along the faith journey.
The following are the 2021 GOALS
- Discover the needs in and around York Springs within the next 3 months, and figure out how YSUMC can meet 3 of those needs within the following 6 months.
- Invite and connect with individuals and groups of all ages through regularly held events and at least 3 special events by the end of 2021.
- Develop and teach a discipleship pathway that clearly shows what the next step is by May and provide at least 3 opportunities to follow each of those steps throughout the year.
- Intentionally invite individuals to Sunday worship through 3 major invite campaigns using social media, postcards, in-hand invites, etc. by the end of 2021.
- Pray, ask with specific directions, and develop leaders of the church for youth and outreach ministries within the next 6 months.
Youth: Youth group gatherings, Sunday School class
Outreach: Discover needs, provide serving opportunities, oversee monthly missions
The Ministry Team has been learning to find their footing in their new role, and I am very excited to say they are doing excellent work and have outstanding events already planned. The events will help to fulfill Goal #2 and parts of #3.
Here are a few of the upcoming activities
Cornhole Picnic at 4pm. Games for all ages, including a cornhole tournament.
Children and Youth Scavenger Hunt and Campfire
Outdoor Worship and Picnic with ‘Minute to Win It’ games
Children and Youth Swimming and Fishing Day
Please be in prayer as we the Church work to fulfill Jesus’ mission!