The earliest record of a Methodist congregation in York Springs (then known as Petersburg) dates back to 1826, when it became part of the new Gettysburg Circuit.
In 1844, the York Springs Circuit was formed with 10 other churches. Two more churches were added to the circuit in 1845. The first Methodist Episcopal building in Petersburg was dedicated August 1, 1847.
In 1851, a deed was drawn up by John Sadler and his wife Mary for a plot of ground in Petersburg, on which a church was to be built for the Petersburg congregation as well as a parsonage to house the pastor of the 13-church circuit. The Sadlers sold the land to the Petersburg congregation for a dollar. The congregation soon outgrew the original building. In 1867, a new church building was completed at a total cost of $5,478.14 (just under $90,000 today) on the same property. In 1883, construction began on the new parsonage.
A tornado in 1952 removed a large section of the roof and western wall. After repairs to the roof, wall, and a remodeling of the sanctuary, the church re-opened in 1953. In 1959, the church purchased the home across the street from the church from Jessue E. Deatrick to be used as a parsonage.
In 1981, York Springs UMC left it’s 3-point charge, and Rev. Eugene Steiner was appointed to serve the church. In May 1983, after options to modernize the existing building proved too costly, 22 acres of land were purchased at the current location on Trolley Road, just outside the town limits. The first service at the new building was held on July 21, 1985.